I teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Community, Food and Agriculture (45% of my appointment).
My research focuses on the “food system” (55% of my appointment). The food system involves all of the steps required to produce food and get it to our plates–from farming and processing to distribution and consumption.
My work is unified by three main questions, (1) what changes are occurring? (2) what are the impacts of these changes on communities? (3) what can communities do to respond positively to these changes?
These questions drive two main projects, (1) characterizing consolidation in food and beverage industries, and (2) bridging information gaps between producers and consumers through ecolabels.
Please note: the book/film database is not always viewable in Firefox or Chrome. Here is an alternative link.
Recent Information Graphics
- Organic Processing Industry Structure, February 2014
- Global Seed Industry Structure, 1996 to 2013
- Concentration in the U.S. Wine Industry, December 2012
Recent Academic Publications
- Howard, Philip H. Concentration and Power in the Food System: Who Controls What We Eat? London: Bloomsbury Academic (forthcoming).
- Oh, Chi-Ok, Zachary Herrnstadt & Philip H. Howard. Consumer Willingness to Pay for Bird Management in Fruit Crops. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems (in press).
- Getter, Kristin L., Bridget K. Behe, Philip H. Howard, David S. Conner & Lia M. Spaniolo. Increasing Demand for Pasture-Based Dairy: What Attributes and Images Do Consumers Want? Pp. 125-140 in Rethinking Organic Food and Farming in a Changing World (Bernard Freyer & James Bingen, eds.). New York: Springer.
- Constance, Douglas H., Mary Hendrickson, Philip H. Howard & William D. Heffernan. Economic Concentration in the Agrifood System: Impacts on Rural Communities and Emerging Responses. Pp. 16-35 in Rural America in a Changing World: Problems and Prospects for the 2010s (Connor Bailey, Leif Jensen & Elizabeth Ransom, eds.). Morgantown, WV: West Virginia University Press.
- Constance, Douglas H., Mary Hendrickson & Philip H. Howard. Agribusiness Concentration: Globalization, Market Power, and Resistance. Pp. 31-58 in The Global Food System: Issues and Solutions (William D. Schanbacher, ed.). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Howard, Philip H. Too Big to Ale? Globalization and Consolidation in the Beer Industry. Pp. 155-165 in The Geography of Beer: Regions, Environment, and Society (Mark W. Patterson & Nancy Hoalst Pullen, eds.). New York: Springer. [pre-publication PDF]
- Getter, Kristen L., Bridget K. Behe, David S. Conner & Philip H. Howard. Pasture-Raised Milk: The Market for a Differentiated Product. Journal of Food Products Marketing, 20(2), 146-161.
- Howard, Philip H. Transnational Corporations. Pp. 737-742 in Achieving Sustainability: Visions, Principles and Practices (Debra Rowe, ed.). Detroit: Macmillan.
- James, Harvey S., Jr., Mary Hendrickson & Philip H. Howard. Networks, Power and Dependency in the Agrifood Industry. Pp. 99-126 in The Ethics and Economics of Agrifood Competition (Harvey S. James, Jr., ed.). New York: Springer. [pre-publication PDF]
- Howard, Philip H. & Daniel Jaffee. Tensions Between Firm Size and Sustainability Goals: Fair Trade Coffee in the United States. Sustainability, 5(1), 72-89. [PDF]
- Howard, Philip H. Increasing Community Participation with Self-Organizing Meeting Processes. Journal of Rural Social Sciences, 27(2), 118-136. [PDF]
- Lindell, Catherine A., Stephanie A. Schwiff & Philip H. Howard. Bird Management in Fruit Crops: How We Make Progress. Proceedings of the Vertebrate Pest Conference (R.M. Timm, ed.). Davis, CA: University of California. Pp. 235-239. [PDF]
- Spaniolo, Lia M. & Phil Howard. Consumer Preferences for Alternative Eco-labels: A Qualitative Analysis of Natural Food Store and Food Co-op Shoppers Motivations. Appetite, 56(2), 245.
- Howard, Philip H., Margaret Fitzpatrick & Brian Fulfrost. Proximity of Food Retailers to Schools and Rates of Overweight Ninth Grade Students: An Ecological Study in California. BMC Public Health, 11:68. [online]
- Duvall, Chris S., Philip H. Howard & Kirk Goldsberry. Apples and Oranges? Classifying Food Retailers in a Midwestern US City Based on the Availability of Fresh Produce. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition, 5(4), 526-541. [PDF]
- Jaffee, Daniel & Philip H. Howard. Corporate Cooptation of Organic and Fair Trade Standards. Agriculture and Human Values, 27(4), 387-399. [PDF]
- Goldsberry, Kirk, Chris S. Duvall, Philip H. Howard & Joshua E. Stevens. Visualizing Nutritional Terrain: A Geospatial Analysis of Pedestrian Produce Accessibility in Lansing, Michigan, USA. Geocarto International, 25(9), 485-499. [PDF]
- Nault, Katherine, Margaret Fitzpatrick & Philip H. Howard. Engaging Youth in Food Environments Research: The Role of Participation. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition, 5(2), 174-190. [PDF]
- Howard, Philip H. & Patricia Allen. Beyond Organic and Fair Trade? An Analysis of Ecolabel Preferences in the United States. Rural Sociology, 75(2), 244-269. [online]
- Howard, Philip H. 1) Eco-labeling. Pp. 139-141; 2) Fast Food. Pp. 169-172; 3) Retail Sector. Pp. 370-373; in Green Food: An A-to-Z Guide (Dustin R. Mulvaney, ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Cave, Jim, Ebenezer offei Ansah, Devin Foote, Kathleen Reed & Grady Zuiderveen. 2014. Farmers for the Future. Michigan State University (December).
- Metta, Kyle, Timothy Silberg & Sam Loscalzo. 2014. Conventional Wisdom of Local Food. Michigan State University (December).
- Herrnstadt, Zachary B. 2014. What Agricultural Practices Are Considered Natural? Consumer Perceptions of Bird Damage-Control Methods Used on Fruit. Master of Science Thesis, Michigan State University.
- Stuart, Diana, Rebecca L. Schewe & Matthew McDermott. 2014. Reducing Nitrogen Fertilizer Application as a Climate Change Mitigation Strategy: Understanding Farmer Decision-Making and Potential Barriers to Change in the US. Land Use Policy 36, 210-218.
- Herrnstadt, Zachary B. 2013. Consumer Reactions to Bird Management Practices on Fruit Crops. Department of Community Sustainability, Michigan State University (June).
- Comlanvi, Sitou Akibode, Katherine Dentzman, Kate Glanville, Philip Grabowski, Michele Hockett & Jacob Watson. 2012. Global Food System Analysis. Michigan State University (December).
- Grabowski, Alix. 2012. Wine Labeling. Michigan State University (May).
- Mino, Rebecca. 2012. The Availability of Michigan-Produced Wines in Southern Michigan Retail Locations. Michigan State University (May).
- Schultze, Steve. 2012. Wine Geographic Origin by Owner/Licensee/Exclusive Importer. Michigan State University (May).
- Stuart, Diana, Matthew McDermott & Rebecca L. Schewe. 2012. Responding to Climate Change: Barriers to Reflexive Modernization in U.S. Agriculture. Organization & Environment, 25(3), 308-327.
- Tsai, Yue-Mi. 2012. Citizen and Consumer: The Dual Role of the Individual in a Taiwanese Consumer Food Cooperative. Master of Science Professional Project, Michigan State University.
- Bogart, Terra. 2012. Should I Leave Room for Politics? The Political Ecology of Coffee, April 28.
- McDermott, Matthew. 2012. Farmer Responses to a Climate Change-Driven Fertilizer Offsets Program: Economic Incentives, Worldviews and Operational Constraints. Master of Science Thesis, Michigan State University.
- Otto, Jayson. 2011. Broadening the Concept of Civic Agriculture: The History of Civic Food Systems in Progressive Era Grand Rapids, Michigan. Master of Science Thesis, Michigan State University.
- Miller-Porter, Angela. 2011. The Cooperative Creation and Management of Edgewood Village Community and Children’s Gardens. Master of Science Professional Project, Michigan State University.
- Spaniolo, Lia. 2011. Emergent Ecolabels in the US Market: Contributions to Political Consumerism Efforts and a Study of Niche Consumer Values. Master of Science Thesis, Michigan State University.
- Spaniolo, Lia & Phil Howard. 2010. Emerging Eco-Labels: Researching Perspectives of Co-op Member-Owners. Cooperative Grocer, May-June, 14-15. [PDF]
- Spaniolo, Lia. 2009. Eco-Label Programs for US Farmers; Eco-Label Programs for Michigan Farmers. Department of Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resource Studies, Michigan State University (October).
- Fitzpatrick, Margaret H. 2009. Alternative Food and Animal Geographies in Newsprint Media: Discourse Analysis of Urban Chickens in the US. Master of Science Thesis, Michigan State University.
- Otto, Jayson. 2009. Annotated Bibliography of Literature on Food Environments. Department of Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resource Studies, Michigan State University (May). [PDF]
Philip H. Howard
Department of Community Sustainability
Michigan State University
Natural Resources Building
480 Wilson RD, Rm 316
East Lansing, MI 48824