- 2012 - Handbook of Second Language Acquisition.London: Routledge (with A. Mackey).
- 2012 - Research methodologies in Second Language Acquisition.London: Blackwell (with A. Mackey)
- 2009 - Selected works of Susan Gass on Applied Linguistics (vols 1 & 2).Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- 2008 - Second language acquisition: An introductory Course, 4th edition. New York: Taylor & Francis (with L. Selinker) (translated into Chinese)
- 2007 - Data elicitation for second and foreign language research.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (with A. Mackey) (translated into Chinese)
- 2005 - Second language research:† Methodology and design, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (with A. Mackey).†
- 2004 - AILA Review, 17. Amsterdam:† John Benjamins (with S. Makoni).
- 2002 - Pedagogical norms for second and foreign language learning and teaching: Studies in honour of Albert Valdman.† (co-edited with K. Bardovi-Harlig, S. Magnan, J. Walz).† Amsterdam:† John Benjamins.
- 2001 - Second Language Acquisition: An introductory course.† 2nd edition, with L. Selinker.† Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. (translated into Korean
- 2000 - Stimulated Recall in Second Language Research, with A. Mackey, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 2011 - The relationship between ratersí prior language study and the evaluation of foreign language speech samples. (with Carol Myford and Paula Winke). TOEFL iBT Research Report.
Articles (since 2000)
- in press - Experimental design.In Research Methods in Linguistics. D. Sharma and R. Podesva (eds.).Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (with R. Abbuhl and A. Mackey).
- in press - Preparing the future professoriate in SLA. In G. Gorsuch (ed.). Working Theories for Teaching Assistant and International Teaching Assistant Development.With A. Thompson, S. Li, B. White, & S. Loewen.
- in press - Comments on Handbooks: A non-believer or a convert? The Modern Language Journal.
- in press - Factors Influencing the Use of Captions by Foreign Language Learners: An Eye-tracking Study. The Modern Language Journal. (with P. Winke & T. Sydorenko).
- in press - Comments on Stimulated Recall as a Data-Elicitation Tool.In Anne Burns & Roger Barnard (eds.)Language teacher cognition and practice: International case studies to illuminate methodological issues. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- 2012 - Attention and awareness in second language acquisition.In Handbook of Second Language Acquisition. S. Gass & A. Mackey (eds.). New York: Routledge (with P. Robinson, A. Mackey, & R. Schmidt).
- 2012 - Interactionist approach.In Handbook of Second Language Acquisition. S. Gass & A. Mackey (eds.). New York: Routledge (with R. Abbuhl & A. Mackey).
- 2011 - Task-based interactions in classroom and laboratory settings. Language Learning (reprint). Pp. 189-220 (with A. Mackey and L. Ross-Feldman)
- 2011 - Study quality in interactionist research.Language Learning, 61, 2, 325-366 (with Luke Plonsky).
- 2011 - English Language Testing:A case study of test development in Greece.In A. De Houwer & A. Wilton (eds.).English in Europe today.Amsterdam: John Benjamins (with Dan Reed), pp. 31-50.
- 2011 - Working Memory Capacity, Stroop Interference, and Proficiency in a Second Language.In M. Schmid & W. Lowie (eds.). From structure to chaos: twenty years of modeling bilingualism.Amsterdam: John Benjamins (with Junkyu Lee) pp. 59-84.
- 2010 - The effects of captioning videos used for foreign language listening activities.Language Learning & Technology. (with P. Winke & T. Sydorenko), pp. 65-86.
- 2010 - Experimental Research.In B. Paltridge & A. Phakiti Second Language Research Methods. Continuum Press (pp. 7-21).
- 2010 - Relating L2 input and L2 Output.E. Macaro (ed.).Continuum Companion to Second Language Acquisition, Continuum Press.
- 2009 - A survey of SLA research.In W. Ritchie and T. Bhatia.Handbook of SLA.Emerald (pp. 3-28)
- 2009 - Second Language Acquisition.In Handbook of Acquisition.S. Foster-Cohen (ed.).pp. 109-139. Palgrave.
- 2009 - Research Timeline:Statistical Rigor in SLA.In Language Teaching, 42 (2)181-196 (with Shawn Loewen)
- 2008 - Second Language Acquisition and Bilingualism.In An Introduction to Bilingualism: Principles and Processes, ed. by J. Altarriba and R. Heredia.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (with Margo Glew). Pp. 265-294.
- 2008 - Epilogue: A tale of two copulas.In Bilingualism, Language, & Cognition, 11, 383-385. (with Eve Zyzik)
- 2007 - Perceptions of interactional feedback:Differences between heritage language learners and non-heritage language learners. In Mackey, A. (Ed.) Conversational interaction in second language acquisition:A series of empirical studies (pp. 173-196). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press (with Kim Lewis).
- 2007 - Firth and Wagner:New ideas or a new articulation?.Modern Language Journal, 91 pp. 788-799 with J. Lee & R. Roots.
- 2007 - Second Language Acquisition of Relative Clauses:A Commentary. Studies in Second Language Acquisition with J. Lee.
- 2007 - Input, interaction and output in second language acquisition.In J. Williams and B. VanPatten (Eds.) Theories in Second Language Acquisition.Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 2006 - Input, Interaction and Output: An Overview.AILA Review. (with A. Mackey).Pp. 3-17. Amsterdam:John Benjamins.
- 2006 - Introduction.SSLA, 28, 169-178 (with A. Mackey).
- 2006 - Using stimulated recall to investigate native speaker perceptions in native- nonnative speaker interaction.Studies in Second Language Acquisition (with C. Polio & L. Chapin) pp. 237-267
- 2006 - Models of Second Language Acquisition.In K. Wahba and L. England. A Handbook for Arabic Language Teaching Professionals in the 21st Century pp. 21-33. Mahwah, NJ.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 2006 - Generalizability:What are we generalizing anyway?To appear in M. Chalhoub-Deville, C. Chapelle, & P. Duff (eds.)Generalizability in Applied Linguistics:Multiple Research Perspectives (pp. 209-220).Amsterdam:John Benjamins
- 2006 - Fundamentals of Second Language Acquisition. In Language and Linguistics in Context.H. Luria, D. Seymour, & T. Smoke (Eds.). Reprint of an article published in 2000. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (pp. 43-60).
- 2006 - Task-based interactions in classroom and laboratory settings.Language Learning. (with A. Mackey & L. Ross-Feldman).Reprinted in Best of Language Learning, June, 2011
- 2004 - Attention when? An investigation of the ordering effect of input and interaction.† Studies in Second Language Acquisition (with M. Alvarez Torres). 27,1.
- 2004 - Conversation analysis and input-interaction.† The Modern Language Journal., 88(4): 597-602.
- 2004 - SLA:† Where are we and where are we going?† Korean Journal of Applied Linguistics.† 2004, Volume 20, (2).
- 2004 - Models of Second Language Acquisition.† In K. Wahba and L. England. A Handbook for Arabic Language Teaching Professionals in the 21st Century.
- 2004 - Context and second language acquisition.† In S. Rott, J. Williams, B. VanPatten, & M. Overstreet.† Form-Meaning Connections.† Mahwah, NJ:† Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.† Pp. 77-90
- 2003 - Differential effects of attention.† Language Learning, 53(3).† With Ildiko Svetics and Sarah Lemelin, pp. 495-543.
- 2003 - Input and interaction.† In C. Doughty and M. Long (eds.) Handbook of second language acquisition.† Oxford:† Blackwell Publishers pp. 224-255.
- 2003 - Apples and Oranges: Or, Why Apples are Not Orange and Donít Need to Be. Modern Language Journal, 82,1. 83-90.† Reprinted in Controversies in Applied Linguistics.† Oxford:† Oxford University Press, pp. 220-231.
- 2002 - Frequency effects and second language acquisition: A complex picture?.† Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 24: 249-260. (with A. Mackey).
- 2002 - Introduction. In Pedagogical Norms for Second and Foreign Language Leazrning and Teaching.† S. Gass, K. Bardovi-Harlig, S. Magnan, & J. Walz (eds.). (pp. 1-12).† Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- 2002 - Interactionist perspectives in SLA.† In R. Kaplan (ed.).† Handbook of Applied Linguistics.† Oxford:† Oxford University Press (pp. 170-181).
- 2001 - Sentence Matching:† A Reexamination, Second Language Research, 17 (4): 421-441.
- 2001 - Innovations in L2 research methods.† In Annual Review of Applied Linguistics. M. McGroarty (ed.)
- 2001 - Changing views of language learning.† In BAAL Proceedings.† Multilingual Matters.† H. Trappes-Lomax (Ed.).Change and Continuity in Applied Linguistics. British Studies in Applied Linguistics 15.
- 2000 - The Fundamentals of Second Language Acquisition. In Handbook of Undergraduate Second Language Education.† J. Rosenthal (Ed.).† Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (pp. 29-46).
- 2000 - How do learners perceive implicit negative feedback?† In Studies in Second Language Acquisition. (with A. Mackey & K. McDonough).† 22.4. 471-497.