Peilei Fan 范蓓蕾
Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning
201M Human Ecology Building, 552 West Circle Drive, East Lansing, MI 48824
Direct: 517-432-6517; School: 517-432-0704
Email : fanpeile <at> msu <dot> edu
Adjunct Faculty, Geography
Affiliated faculty, Global Urban Studies Program
Associate Editor for International Journal of Business and System Research (Inderscience), International Journal of Technology and Globalization (Inderscience), and Journal of Science and Technology Policy in China (Emerald)
Ph.D. in Economic Development, 2003, MIT
M.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 2001, MIT
Master of City and Regional Planning, 1998, Rutgers University
M.S. in Geography, 1995, Nanjing University, China
B.S. in Computer Science, 1993, Nanjing University, China
Innovation and economic development, Asia’s urbanization, international planning and development.
(1) Innovation in China, India and East Asia
(2) land use and urbanization in contemporary China and Southeast Asia.
Lead Principal Investigator (Co-investigators: Joseph Messina, Nathan Moore, Jianjun Ge, and Peter Verburg). 2009-2013. “China's Urbanization and its Sustainability under Future Climate Change,” National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), $621,496.
Principal Investigator (Lead PI: Yifei Sun, California State University, Northridge). 2011-2013. “Workshop on Chinese Ways of Innovation: Strategic Directions of Research on Chinese Innovation,” National Science Foundation (NSF), $58,188.
Principal Investigator. 2008-2009. “Research publication in innovation in Asia and urban sustainability in China,” Center for Advanced Studies of International Development (CASID), Michigan State University, $9,000.
Principal Investigator. 2007-2009. “Innovation, globalization, and catching-up by Chinese high-tech firms,” Intramural Research Grant Program, Michigan State University, $28,926.
UP 801: Concepts and Issues in Planning and Development (Fall 2013)
New Course -
UP 855: Urban Sustainability and Climate Change (offered in Fall 2012 as UP800 Section 4, will be offered again in Spring 2014)
If you are a registered student of the classes, you will be able to access materials related to the class through the MSU Angel Course Management System. If you are a graduate student and plan to do a Master Thesis (Plan A) in my research area, please prepare a page of your ideas and stop by my office to have a chat. I am always looking for motivated and talented students.
Guest Editor for Journal Special Issues
1. Guest Editor for International Journal of Technology and Globalization 3(4) 2007
2. Guest Editor for International Journal of Business and Systems Research 4(5/6) 2010
Referred Journal Articles
1. Yue, Wenze, Fan, Peilei, Wei, Yehua, and Qi, Jiaguo. Forthcoming. Economic development, urban expansion, and sustainable development in Shanghai. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment. DOI 10.1007/s00477-012-0623-8
2. Yue, Wenze, Liu, Yong, and Fan, Peilei. 2013. Measuring urban sprawl in large Chinese cities: the case of Hangzhou. Land Use Policy 31: 358-370.
3. Fan, Peilei, Wan, Guanghua, and Lu, Ming. 2012. China’s regional inequality in innovation capability, 1995-2006. China and World Economy 20 (3): 16-36.
4. Yue, Wenze, Liu, Yong, and Fan, Peilei, Ye, Xinyue, Wu, Cifang. 2012. Assessing spatial pattern of urban thermal environment in Shanghai, China. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 26: 899-911.
5. Fan, Peilei. 2011. Innovation, globalization, and catch-up of latecomers: cases of Chinese telecom firms. Environment and Planning A 43 (4): 830-849.
6. Fan, Peilei. 2011. China and India: innovation capability and economic development. Economic Change and Restructuring 44 (1-2): 49-73.
7. Liu, Yong, Wenze Yue, and Peilei Fan. 2011. Spatial determinants of urban land conversion in large Chinese cities: a case of Hangzhou. Environment and Planning B 38 (4): 706-725.
8. Fan, Peilei. 2010. Innovation-oriented strategies and China’s domestic mobile phone companies. International Journal of Technology and Management 51(2/3/4): 168-193.
9. Fan, Peilei. 2010. From a late comer to a global telecom giant: the development path of Huawei. International Journal of Business System Research 4(5/6): 691-719.
10. Fan, Peilei. 2010. Catching up through staged development and innovation: the case of Chinese telecom companies. Journal of Science and Technology Policy of China 1 (1): 64 -91.
11. Fan, Peilei and Jiaguo Qi. 2010. Assessing the sustainability of major cities in China. Sustainability Science Journal 5(1): 51-68.
12. Yue, Wenze, Yong Liu, and Peilei Fan. 2010. Polycentric urban development: the case of Hangzhou. Environment and Planning A 42(3) 563 – 577.
13. Li, Mingfang, Xudong Gao and Peilei Fan. 2010. Chinese Strategic Management: A Systems Perspective on the Practical Aspects and Theoretical Reflections. International Journal of Business System Research 4(5/6).
14. Fan, Peilei and Kazuo Watanabe. 2008. The rise of the Indian biotech industry and innovative domestic companies. International Journal of Technology and Globalization 4(2): 148-169.
15. Fan, Peilei. 2007. China’s technology catching up: An introduction. International Journal of Technology and Globalization 3(4): 337-343.
16. Fan, Peilei, Xudong Gao, and Kazuo Watanabe. 2007. Technology strategies of innovative Chinese domestic companies. International Journal of Technology and Globalization 3(4): 344-363.
17. Fan, Peilei. 2006. Catching up through Developing Innovation Capability: Evidence from China’s Telecom-equipment Industry. Technovation 26(3) pp. 359-68.
18. Fan, Peilei. 2006. Promoting indigenous capability: The Chinese government and the catching-up of domestic telecom-equipment firms. China Review 6(1) pp. 9-35.
19. Fan, Peilei and Chihiro Watanabe. 2006. Promoting industrial development through technology policy: Lessons from Japan and China. Technology in Society 28(3) pp.303-320.
Fan, Peilei, Qi, Jiaguo, Chen, Xi, Messina, Joseph, Huang, Huiqing, Li, Xue. Forthcoming. Urban Expansion and Environment Change in Dryland East Asia. In Chen, Jiquan, Shiqiang Wan, Geoff Henebry, Jiaguo Qi, Garik Gutman, Martin Kappas, Ge Sun, eds. Dryland East Asia (DEA): Land Dynamics amid Social and Climate Change. Beijing: Higher Education Press.
Qi, Jiaguo, Fan, Peilei, and Chen, Xi. 2012. The urban expansion and sustainability challenge of cities in China’s west: the case of Urumqi. In Igor Vojnovic (ed) Urban Sustainability: A Global Perspective. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press, pp. 69-100.
Fan, Peilei and Wan, Guanghua. 2009. Innovation capability for economic development: the Chinese experience in the reform era. In Arthur Sweetman and Jun Zhang (eds) Economic Transition with Chinese Characteristics: Thirty years of Reform and Opening Up. Montreal: McGill Queen’s University Press, Volume 1, pp. 99-122. (Book website: http://mqup.mcgill.ca/book.php?bookid=2357)
Fan, Peilei and Wan, Guanghua. 2008. China’s regional inequality in innovation capability, 1995-2004. In Guanghua Wan (ed) Inequality and Growth in Modern China. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 144-162. ISBN13: 9780199535194; ISBN10: 0199535191