Old Botany

1892; 1909

Architect: Bowd

  The irregularity that typifies the Queen Anne style is seen here in the asymmetry of the facades and in the variety of the gables, chimneys, and windows. There are round-headed windows; ones with brick, segmental relieving arches; and a huge stairwell glass on the north side. This eclectic design also displays heavy massing and a bold entry arch, both of which are reflective of the Richardsonian Romanesque, a very popular style of the day.

  The first botany laboratory was a Gothic-frame structure that housed Professor W.J. Beal's botanical museum; unfortunately it burned in March 1890. When the second botany laboratory was dedicated on June 22, 1892, there was an impressive cornerstone-laying ceremony. The cornerstone inscription, "Botany A.D. 1892," is still prominent; look for it just left of the building entrance. In 1909, an addition that complements the original design was added. Today, this entire building is known as Old Botany.

 

Marshall Hall

  1902

Architect: Bowd

Marshall Hall is generally inspired by the Richardsonian Romanesque as its cavernous arched entrance, wall buttresses, and decorated gables suggest. Although it is positioned slightly east of the other members of "laboratory row" and, therefore, slightly farther from West Circle Drive, its massing and its details may still be seen effectively from a distance.

In 1903, this building was known as Bacteriology and housed on of the first departments of bacteriology in the United States; it is probably the first structure erected solely for research and teaching in that field. Dr. Charles E. Marshall, professor of bacteriology and hygiene (1902-12), for whom Marshall Hall was later named, was a brilliant researcher who also edited the journal Microbiology and initiated the production of hog cholera serum for distribution in the state.

Descriptions courtesy of MSU campus guide http://web.msu.edu/dig/westcirc