Laura Bix, PhD
- Doctorate in Packaging. 2001. Michigan State University School of Packaging; USA. Dissertation Title: "Toward a Performance Standard for Typeface Legibility: The Lockhart Legibility Instrument."
- Master's of Science in Packaging. 1998. Michigan State University School of Packaging; USA. Thesis Title: "The Effect of Subject Age on Legibility."
- Bachelor's of Science 1993. Michigan State University School of Packaging; USA.
Research InterestsOur passion is improving health care through packaging. Within this broad context, we focus on two major areas: (1) Quantifying the interface between people and packaging in order to: (a) aid utility (2) to prevent medication error (2)Developing techniques to understand and characterize microbial ingress for medical packaging so that we (as an industry) do our part to reduce nosocomial infection rates.
I have a broad spectrum of teaching experiences, including:
- Undergraduate Core: PKG 101, Principles of Packaging. PKG 323 Packaging with Plastics. PKG 485, Packaging Development
- Graduate Core: PKG 825, Polymeric Packaging Materials.
- Undergraduate Electives: PKG 452, Medical Packaging. PKG 480, Packaging Laws and Regulations.
- Technical Writing: NSC 840, Writing in the Sciences.
- Personnel Director December, 1995-July, 1996. Mebane Packaging Group (Garner, NC facility).
- Leadership through Quality Director July 1994-December 1995. Mebane Packaging Group (Garner, NC facility)
- Design Intern August 1992-June 1993. Rock-Tenn Company (Norcross, GA facility).
- Clemson University. Appointed Adjunct Status- July 2008-Present
- Named one of the device industry's 100 most notable people of 2008 by Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry magazine.
- Appointed as the US expert on ISO TC 122 Group which is working to create a global standard for accessible packaging design.
- Appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of The Journal of Testing and EvaluationWest Conshohocken, PA.
- Appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of Pharmaceutical and Medical Packaging News (Los Angeles, CA).
- Appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of Shelf Impact! (Chicago, IL).
- Appointed to the Advisory Board of The Journal of Testing and Evaluation
- Regular juror for the Ameristar Packaging Awards
- Recipient College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Excellence in Teaching Awards (New Teacher Category). May 2007.
- Honored at Spartan Volleyball's "Faculty Night" as a student athlete's favorite teacher Fall 2002.
- Awarded Label Packaging Suppliers Council Ph.D. Candidate Award Fall 1998.