Laura Bix, PhD
- Doctorate in Packaging. 2001. Michigan State University School of Packaging; USA. Dissertation Title: "Toward a Performance Standard for Typeface Legibility: The Lockhart Legibility Instrument."
- Master's of Science in Packaging. 1998. Michigan State University School of Packaging; USA. Thesis Title: "The Effect of Subject Age on Legibility."
- Bachelor's of Science 1993. Michigan State University School of Packaging; USA.
Research InterestsOur passion is To improve health through packaging. To do so, we primarily focus our efforts on healthcare products, though occasionally we work with food and beverages. The Packaging HUB is a multidisciplinary program that centers on packaging as a way to: reduce medication errors, enhance patient compliance, reduce healthcare acquired infections and induce the selection of healthier foods.
I have a broad spectrum of teaching experiences, including:
- Undergraduate Core: PKG 101, Principles of Packaging. PKG 323 Packaging with Plastics. PKG 485, Packaging Development
- Graduate Core: PKG 825, Polymeric Packaging Materials.PKG 826Principles of Scholarship (co-developed)
- Undergraduate Electives: PKG 452, Medical Packaging. (Developed online content)PKG 480, Packaging Laws and Regulations.
- Technical Writing: NSC 840, Writing in the Sciences.
- Personnel Director December, 1995-July, 1996. Mebane Packaging Group (Garner, NC facility).
- Leadership through Quality Director July 1994-December 1995. Mebane Packaging Group (Garner, NC facility)
- Design Intern August 1992-June 1993. Rock-Tenn Company (Norcross, GA facility).
- Michigan State University. Appointed Associate Director- April 2015-Present
- Fellow Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Academic Leadership Program (ALP) 2015-2016
- Clemson University. Appointed Adjunct Status- July 2008-Present
- Appointed Expert. Center for Disease Control and Prevention's PROTECT and PROTECT Rx Initiatives (2012-Present)
- Appointed Expert. Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA)/Gerontological Society of America (GSA)expert panel regarding medication use and older adults (2012-2014)
- Named one of the device industry's 100 most notable people of 2008 by Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry magazine.
- Appointed as the US expert on ISO TC 122 Group which is working to create a global standard for accessible packaging design.
- Appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of The Journal of Testing and EvaluationWest Conshohocken, PA.
- Appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of Pharmaceutical and Medical Packaging News (Los Angeles, CA).
- Appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of Shelf Impact! (Chicago, IL).
- Appointed to the Advisory Board of The Journal of Testing and Evaluation
- Regular juror for the Ameristar Packaging Awards
- Recipient 2014 Phi Kappa Phi Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scholarship Award
- Recipient; Coauthored paper which received Best Paper Award, 5th Annual Cambridge Workshop on Universal Access and Assistive Technology Conference (CWUAAT), 2010. Cambridge University
- Recipient Children's Central and Michigan Children's Trust Fund Innovation Award 2009. East Lansing, MI
- Recipient College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Excellence in Teaching Awards (New Teacher Category). May 2007.
- Honored at Spartan Volleyball's "Faculty Night" as a student athlete's favorite teacher Fall 2002.
- Awarded Label Packaging Suppliers Council Ph.D. Candidate Award Fall 1998.