Recruiting Flight Commander
Captain Robert Slayton is the Recruiting Flight Commander for AFROTC Detachment 380 at the Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan. His responsibilities include recruiting and retention of new officer candidates for the United States Air Force in the majority of the lower peninsula of Michigan. This includes the current 150 person cadet wing corps as well as contacting hundreds of interested students at various events throughout the state. His future responsibilities will include taking on the Commandant of Cadets role where he will guide the cadet wing leadership to further develop their abilities as leaders as well as train younger students to take on these responsibilities.
Previously Captain Slayton was a member of the 51st Fighter Wing, the Air Force’s most forward deployed combat wing based at Osan AB, Republic of Korea where he served as the Officer in Charge of the 36th Aircraft Maintenance Unit. During this assignment he led 225 maintenance personnel and oversaw maintenance actions on 27 assigned F-16 aircraft. Prior to his time in Korea Captain Slayton was the Operations Officer for the 354th Maintenance Squadron based at Eielson Air Force, Alaska. While there, he supported air operations for the North American Aerospace Defense Command.
Throughout his seventeen years in the Air Force, Captain Slayton has performed a variety of duties across several different Air Force career fields. While assigned to the 3d Space Operations Squadron at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado Captain Slayton oversaw several satellite launches, and worked with several different space based weapon systems, to include the Defense Satellite Communications System (DSCS) and Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS) constellations. Additionally, he worked as a Flightline Maintenance Officer while assigned to Luke Air Force Base, Arizona, the Air Force’s largest fighter wing. While at Luke he oversaw maintenance operations on 24 F-16 fighter aircraft used to train the Air Force’s newest fighter pilots.
2005 Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Colorado Technical University, Colorado Springs, CO
2006 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, AL
2012 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL
2013 Master of Science in International Relations, Troy University, Dothan, AL
1. January 1996 – December 1997, Aircrew Egress Journeyman, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Virginia.
2. December 1997 – December 2001, Aircrew Egress Craftsman, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy.
3. December 2001 – June 2005, Defense Satellite Communications System (DSCS) Satellite Vehicle Operator, 3d Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colorado.
4. June 2005 – June 2006, Academic Instructor Space Operations, 50th Operational Support Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colorado.
5. June 2006 – May 2007, Flight Commander, Maintenance Training Flight, 56th Maintenance Operations Squadron, Luke AFB, Arizona.
6. May 2007 – May 2009, Assistant Officer in Charge, 62d Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 56 Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Arizona.
7. May 2009 – April 2010, Operations and Plans Analyst, 354th Fighter Wing Plans and Programs, Eielson AFB, Alaska.
8. April 2010 – November 2010, Maintenance Director, 432d Air Expeditionary Wing Operations Center, Creech AFB, Nevada.
9. December 2010 – May 2012, Operations Officer, 354th Maintenance Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska.
10. May 2012 - May 2013, Officer in Charge, 36th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 51st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea.
11. May 2013 – Present, Recruiting Flight Commander, AFROTC Detachment 380, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Daniel Webster Award for Outstanding Military Briefer
56th Fighter Wing Company Grade Officer of the Year
354th Fighter Wing Maintenance Professional of the Year
Department of Defense OPSEC Program of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant – May 18, 2006
First Lieutenant – May 18, 2008
Captain – May 18, 2010