OST 590: Community Medicine in Yucatan, Mexico (3 credits)
Spring Break 2014
This program combines hospital shadowing with community healthcare and offers students a view of Mayan culture. Students also are given opportunities to: interact with Mexican healthcare professionals, observe common and uncommon pathology, and work in rural healthcare clinics. Clinical shadowing experience includes: pediatric oncology, emergency medicine, OB/GYN, community medicine, and hyperbaric medicine. There will also be limited opportunities available for general surgeries.
It is the discretion of the Course Director to determine which students may participate. An interview may be required.
For more information, please contact Rusti Sidel of IIH.
- Undergraduate student at Michigan State OR first year medical curriculum (COM/CHM/CON) student at Michigan State University.
- 2.5 GPA required.
- Must have a good understanding of Biology, Microbiology, and Physiology.
- Must have respect for different cultures.
- Must demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively.
- How to Apply
- Please submit IIH's application form to our main office at B-319 West Fee Hall.
- Students must also apply through Michigan State's Office of Study Abroad, click here to apply online.
The Office of Study Abroad offers scholarships to students who participate in MSU's study abroad programs. The deadline is January 15 for spring break programs! Details here.