LIN 892 Spring 2007
Cognitive Science Seminar
Help me get into the arena so I can do Cognitive Science.
||The Harmonic Mind.
from neural computation to optimality-theoretic grammar
Paul Smolensky and Géraldine Legendre.
MIT Press, 2006
Borrow the Reserved copy for two hours
Read a précis of the book in
Cognitive Science Vol. 30, No. 5: pages 779-801. 2006
available from Lawrence Erlbaum at the MSU library
- references for cog sci basics
Chapter 1 of Smolensky & Legendre while you wait for your copy to arrive
- seminal expression of the combinatorial strategy in cog sci:
Allen Newell and Herbert A. Simon. Computer Science as Empirical Inquiry: symbols and search.
Communications of the ACM. March 1976. Volume 19, Number 3.
read online courtesy of the MSU library
- Tensor calculus came into prominence with the development of the theory of relativity by Einstein in 1916. It evolved into a cohesive body of knowledge through the efforts of Ricci and Levi-Civita, who published a paper in 1900 illustrating the application of the tensor methods to geometry and mathematical physics. Tensor calculus comes near to being a universal language in mathematical physics.
Robert C. Wrede. Introduction to Vector and Tensor Analysis. John Wiley and Sons. 1963.
- Michael I. Jordan's introduction to Linear Algebra from PDP Volume 1
- Ackley, Hinton and Sejnowski. A learning algorithm for Boltzmann machines. Cognitive Science 9(1) 147--169 1985
- handbook version of Ito and Mester
- Pouget and Sejnowski on Spatial transformations in the parietal cortex using basis functions. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 9, 222-237.
- Michael Walsh Dickey. Tense and scope: Gerundive relatives and the interpretations of DPs. UMOPL 2003.
- what experimental methods are out there
- Pollatsek and Rayner on Behavioral Experimentation from Bechtel & Graham's Companion to Cognitive Science
- how to craft your own
- a selection from Snodgrass, Berger and Haydon, Human experimental psychology
- additive factors
- Saul Sternberg piece from Invitation to Cognitive Science Volume 4
- background reading
- chapters 1-3 of Levin & Rappaport-Hovav 2005 (32M scan)
- John Beavers The Structure of Lexical Meaning: Why Semantics Really Matters draft of March 5th 2008.
- Julie Boland. The Role of Verb Argument Structure in Sentence Processing: Distinguishing between Syntactic and Semantic Effects. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research 22(2) 1993.
- Todd Ferretti, Christina Gagné and Ken McRae. Thematic Role Focusing by Participle Inflections: Evidence From Conceptual Combination. JEP:LMC 29(1) 118-127.
- in prepation for special guest Richard L. Lewis
- Howes, Lewis and Vera. Cognitively Bounded Rational Analysis journal-article manuscript + figures
- Smith, Lewis, Howes, Chu, Green, Vera. More than 8192 Ways to Skin a Cat 6-page conference submission
- Craver article for April 23rd