ASC 823X Student Projects S04
ASC 823x S04 Home
1. Length of Presentation 25 minutes including final quiz
2. There will be a quiz of 5 questions given out at the beginning of the presentation, with the answers given at the end. The quiz will be on a handout, with the answers written somewhere (upside down, other side, etc....)
3. Presentation should be rich in audiovisual content: e.g., video, slides, handouts. The materials can be presented in PowerPoint format with video and audio and animations, etc.
4. The presentation, including video files, can be put on a CD-ROM and distributed to fellow students.
5. While you are preparing your presentation, you are encouraged to place materials, including this Prolegomena, on the web, through our web site. This is an important part of our course, since it fosters team participation.
6. Rehearse and time your presentation. JBE will be forced to use the "HOOK" if you go over even by 1 nanosecond!
Introduction: Definition of population
B. Special Characteristics of this population
C. Typical Etiologies & Characteristics
1. Cerebral Palsy
3. Genetic Syndromes (Down, Williams)
4. Traumatic Brain Injury
5. Sensory Deficits (Visual, Hearing)
D. Special Characteristics affecting device usage
1. Motor abilities (strength, range of motion, mobility)
2. Attention Span
3. Cognitive Abilities (existing expressive and receptive communication)
4. Ability to learn new things
E. Devices & Technology (What is the best option?)
1. High Tech vs. Low Tech
2. Picture Based Systems
3. Three Dimensional Objects
4. Wearable Communication Systems
Recommendations for clinical practice
Artificial Language Lab, MSU
MATR (Michigan’s Assistive Technology Resource)
MATR , 1023 South U.S. 27 St. Johns, MI 48879-2424
(800) 274-7426 or (989) 224-0333
Alison Walczak, M.A., CCC-SLP Consultant, Ext. 319
CAMA – Communication Aid Manufacturers Association